Your various settings options are located under the SETUP tab. It is important to understand what each setting can affect.
When making changes, be sure to Click SAVE at the top right of each section before leaving the screen.
- Apply Rate – Here you have the option to change what your rate is based on of, the task or the Time Keeper. Most leave this on TimeKeeper
- Rate Level – Which rate level would you like to default when creating your matter. Most leave this on Default Level
- Billing Method – Here you select your most common method of billing
- Billing Cycle – Most offices Bill monthly, but you can change this setting accordingly
- Sales Tax Rate – This Defaults as 0.00, if you apply a sales tax rate across the board, enter it here
- Service Tax Rate – Same as above
- Currency – We do have clients in other countries, so we offer the Pound, Yen, Euro, and Ruble
- Min Timer Unit – As a default, your entered time will round to the nearest 6th minute (10ths of an hour). Change this number for a different increment, or enter “1” to bill actual time.
- Invoice is due NET – This defaults to 30 days. If your policy is different, select the number of days preferred. If you want your invoices to state “Due Upon Receipt” enter “0” here.
- Tax Title – We do have clients in other countries, so we have different Tax Titles to choose from: Tax, VAT, GST.
- Check Print Offset – (For Check Printing Only) To accommodate various printers, we provide an offset setting. If when printing your checks, the text is too high, increase this number. If the text is printing too low, decrease this number. Value must stay between 0 and .5
- Overhead Charges – You can apply overhead charges to both Time, or Expense Cards.
- Default Matter Tax Status – Default tax methods for new matters. Taxable matters time & expense cards defaults to taxable status. You have the option of making this taxable, Out of State, or nontaxable.
- Enable an Additional Tax Rate – Enable this only if your jurisdiction requires two separate taxes.(ex. one for federal and one for state/province)
- Sales Tax – For taxable matters, this tax rate would be applied to matter cost(expense cards, overhead).
- Service Tax – For taxable matters, this tax rate would be applied to your service fee(time cards)
- Tax ID: You can enter a tax ID if necessary.
Collected Fee Income Allocation
- Originating Attorney’s Default Fee Allocation – Default value of collected fee allocation for matter producer (s).
- Responsible Attorney’s Default Fee Allocation – Default value of collected fee allocation for the responsible attorney.
- Timekeeper’s Default Fee Allocation – Default value of collected fee allocation for Timekeeper(s).
Canada Specific Accounting Settings
Enable Canada specific account rules – Select his option if you would like to apply Canada Specific Accounting Settings. You will be asked to select a province.
- Default Operating Bank – If you have just one Operating bank or one that you use most often you can set this here. It will automatically fill in the BANK field in transactions
- Default Trust Bank – If you have just one Trust bank or one that you use most often you can set this here. It will automatically fill in the BANK field in trust transactions
- Default Timekeeper – If there is only one timekeeper in your office or one which is used most often, select that name here. This will populate the TIMEKEEPER field on time cards.
- Default Matter Owner – If there is only one designated matter owner, you can select them here. This name will populate when setting up your matter
- Use Client Name – This option is referring to how your client’s names get displayed in your client list. By default “Original Name” is First, Last and “Display Name” is Last, First. You can view these under Edit Client in the Client tab.
- Print Client Name – This option is referring to how your client’s names are printed on invoices and checks. By default “Original Name” is First, Last and “Display Name” is Last, First. You can view these under Edit Client in the Client tab.
- Invoice Card Inclusion Date – When generating an invoice, there are “from” and “to” dates. If you tend to include all time up until today, change this setting accordingly.Enable class based tracking for non-matter transactions
- Enable class-based tracking for non-matter transactions – Class tracking allows generation of income statement and balance sheet to be produced by various profit centers as established by classes defined by the firm.
- Enable class-based tracking for matter related transactions – Matter transactions classes can be derived from its matter owner or timekeeper. Turn this option on if you wish to use a more granular class assignments.
- Default Check Print – Our program defaults to “Computer Checks” which means you print your checks from our program. If you prefer to write checks by hand, change this to “Manual Checks”
- Default Check Style – We have two options in our program: Check & two stubs, or three checks
- Checks: Print Additional Info (Operating) – We have choices as to what additional information you want to be printed on your checks.
- Checks: Print Additional Info (Trust) – We have choices as to what additional information you want to be printed on your trust checks.
- Checks: Print Sub-Account: Location – Controls sub-account number location printing on the check. Only applicable if you select “Separate Sub Accounts” when entering your bank.
- Checks: Print Memo 2 on Stub 2 – Exactly as it says, you have the option for your internal memo (Memo2) to print on the second stub (the one for your records)
- Trust Retainer Debit Payable To – Default Payee when trust funds are used to pay invoices.
- Future Dated Transaction Warning – If turned on, the program will alert when creating a future dated transaction.
- Show Warning when Expenses Don’t Include Tax – Set to Yes if you wish to track sales & goods taxes paid on office expenses. This setting will then warn if there is no allocation to tax when entering expenses.
- Default Document App – Select the document storage provider you would like to link with Cosmolex as a default. Note: You must first have an account set up with one of these providers before linking it to CosmoLex. However, no account set up is needed for Cosmolex Native as this a default document storage app available to you.
- – select the format for auto-generating your client IDs
- – select the format for auto-generating your matter file numbers
- Add your firm’s logo – this will be used for the client portal
- Two-Factor Authentication – turn on or off for your firm
- Email Forwarding – turn on email forwarding option for your firm. This will give you the forwarding email address you’ll need to set up email integration
- Client Portal – Turn on/off and select the items you’d like to allow your firm to share
- Send daily digest emails to all CosmoLex users – Digest emails designed to provide a summary of important information such as upcoming meetings, overdue tasks, daily activities etc. Individual user can turn off digest email preference under “My Settings”
- Show Legal Research – Select whether you want to see the Legal Research tab as part of your navigation menu.
- Default Accounts for Client Costs Posted to Matters – Select the default account for your matter costs. You can overwrite this choice for individual matters in the Add/ Edit Matter screens. Check “Fixed Account” Box if you wish to prevent users from choosing other accounts while posting operating expenses to matters.
- Default Legal Fee Income Chart Of Account – Select the default account for your legal fee income.
- Default Trust Transaction Account – Select the default account for trust account transactions.
Account Books Settings
- Reporting Method – Select the tax reporting basis you would like to have setup for your firm. You have the option of choosing cash basis or accrual.
- 1st Month of Fiscal Year – notate the starting month of your fiscal year
- 1st Month of Income Tax Year – notate the starting month of your income tax year
- Dates through which books are closed – Specify book closing date to prevent accidental edits in closed duration.
Vendor Tax Account
In this option, you can enable vendor charged tax Sales Tax account. This will be turned on automatically once you enable Canada specific account rules under Setup > Regional Settings > Canada Specific Account Settings.
Default Accounts for Sales and Tax Services
- In this option, there are two options to set up default chart of accounts associated with sales and services taxes: Firm Collected Sales Tax and Firm Collected Sales Tax 2.
- e-billing – Turn on to enable e-billing functions. The Law Firm ID is a unique identifier identifying the law firm. Normally it is the law firm’s Federal Taxpayer ID that must be used if the law firm has one.
- UTBMS Codes – If you enable e-billing, you should enable UTBMS Codes also unless you are using client provided codes. However, you can enable UTBMS codes without enabling eBilling. You can choose specific sub-categories of UTBMS Codes.
- Here you can select, view and edit your invoice templates.
Invoice Print Settings
- Time Display Format- Here you can choose to display time as HH: MM or number of hours (Ex: 1.5 hrs or 1:30)
- Include Cover Page with Invoice – Here you can choose to include a cover page with every invoice.
- Print Client Transactions – Here you choose if you would like your client’s transactions to be displayed the bottom of the invoice. You can display, Operating, Trust or Both.
- Task/Description – Although the task is required on your time cards, you may not want to print both task and description on your invoice. Here you can select to print one, the other or both.
- Header Height – If you are customizing your invoice header you can adjust this spacing accordingly. Increase this value will heighten the header, decreasing this value will shorten the header
- Footer Height – If you are customizing your invoice footer you can adjust this spacing accordingly. Increase this value will heighten the footer, decreasing this value will shorten the footer.
- Here you can view and edit your email templates, invoice reminders, low retainer reminders, an online trust retainer payments templates.
- The top section is for your header information, This displays in your invoice header and reports. If firm information changes, update this section
- The “Bookkeeper” is used as the signature line at the bottom of our cover page template.
- Box or Dropbox Integration – Sync CosmoLex with Box or Dropbox to import files through document management.
- Cosmolex Native – Document storage application within Cosmolex. Syncing with other providers is not required.
- OneDrive and OneDrive For Business Integration – Sync CosmoLex with OneDrive or OneDrive For Business to manage documents and edit OneDrive Documents within Cosmolex using OfficeOnline.
- Google Calendar Integration – Sync CosmoLex calendar with your Google calendar. Events created in the CosmoLex calendar will be shown on your Google calendar and vice versa.
- Office 365 Calendar – Sync CosmoLex calendar with your Office 365 calendar. Events created in the CosmoLex calendar will be shown on your Office 365 calendar and vice versa.
- LawPay – Sync CosmoLex with LawPay to do online invoice payments, and online trust retainer payments.