In CosmoLex, you can record an invoice payment in the following ways:
- Cash/Check & Other
- Integrated Payments (Credit Card, ACH/eCheck)
- Existing Trust Retainer
- Existing Operating Retainer
This article outlines how to record an invoice payment via check, cash, & other methods. Follow the links above to learn how to process payments using integrated payments, or apply trust and operating funds.
Watch a Video
In CosmoLex, you can record an invoice payment to one or more invoices for a particular client.
Record an Invoice Payment
- From the left navigation panel, click Activities.
- From the Activities left navigation, click Invoices.
- On the Invoices screen, beneath the toolbar, if the Applied Filters field does not display Status = Unpaid, use the Filter panel to select it.
- Single-click the client to whose matters you wish to apply payments.
The row highlights.
- From the toolbar, click Invoice Payment Using > Check/Cash from Client.
The Invoice Payments from New Client Funds screen opens.
Enter Transaction Details
On the left side of your screen:
- In the Funds Received From section, confirm the appropriate Payor displays.
- In the Date field, you can leave today’s date in place, or use the drop-down to click a different date.
- In the Amount field, enter the payment amount.
- The Type field will default to Deposit.
- Use the Method drop-down to further specify the payment method, if desired. Note: if you wish to record a credit card payment without using an integrated payment provider, you can select credit card as the method here. Otherwise, follow the links at the top of this article for integrated Credit Card and ACH/eCheck payments
- Under the Funds Deposited To section, use the Bank drop-down to click the appropriate bank.
- In the Ref # field, enter a reference number, if desired.
Applying Your Payment
On the right side of your screen, all unpaid invoices for this client will be listed along with their balances.
- Check off which invoices you would like to apply payment to. The applied credit amount will be in full until the full payment is used up.
- If you would like to edit the applied amounts, click the edit pencil icon to the far right of the invoice.
- On the Edit Applied Amount screen, in the Applied Amount field, enter the portion of the payment you want to apply to the invoice.
- Click Save.
The Funds Applied To section checks the box beside the invoice and populates the Applied Credit field.
- Repeat these steps for any invoices to which you wish to change the applied amounts.
- When ready, in the upper right corner, click Receive Payment.
The Invoice Payment From New Client message box reads: Invoice payment has been applied.
- Click OK.
Your invoice(s) balance will be updated and a deposit will be recorded in the bank which was chosen.