Operating Retainers allow you to take and keep client funds in your operating account. We recommend that you check with your jurisdiction, as this practice is not always allowed.
Add Operating Retainer
From Matter Tab
1. From the Matter tab, select the desired matter
2. Click Operating Retainer
- Date retainer was received
- Memo(s), if needed
4. When ready, click Save
From Matter Details Page
1. From the Matters tab, select the matter and click Details or double-click the matter
2. Click on Banking
3. From the Transactions tab, click Receive Retainer then click Operating
4. Complete the “Receive Retainer – Operating” screen. (See above)
Using Operating Retainers for Invoice Payments
You can use operating retainers on hand to pay your client’s invoice(s).
Refunding Operating Retainers
To refund operating retainers, you’ll need to create a credit memo for the matter and tell the system how you wish to return the money.
Turn Off Operating Retainer Option
If you do not wish to use Operating Retainers for your firm, you can remove the operating retainer button from the system.
1. Click the Setup tab
2. From Firm Settings, click Firm Preferences
3. Scroll down to “Allow Operating Retainer Transactions” and select No from the drop-down menu
4. At the top of the screen, click Save.
5. Refresh the browser to see the change.