If you set a matter’s billing method to Fixed Fee, the system automatically categorizes all future timecard entries on that matter as non-billable, preventing them from displaying on matter invoices.
You may want to send fixed fee clients an information-only invoice detailing your work without charging them, but fixed fee invoices do not include a description of the services provided.
You have two options for including this information on your fixed fee invoices.
Option 1: Change the Billing Method to Hourly
To change the billing method to hourly for description display purposes:
- Edit the matter and change the billing method to hourly.
- Add a flat rate timecard for the fixed fee total and include a detailed description of the services you provided.
- Add additional timecards to the matter, if applicable, but under Advanced Settings > Billing Info > Billing Status, click No Charge. This ensures they display on your invoice, but with a value of $0.00.
- Generate the invoice.
Option 2: Add a Detailed Description to your Fixed Fee Invoice
To add a detailed description to your fixed fee invoice:
- Track expenses and any non-billable time as usual.
- From Matter Details, create a fixed fee invoice.
- In the Advanced Settings section’s Description/Terms field, enter your detailed description. This free-form type field displays atop your invoice as a default. You can change the location of this field in the same manner through which you can add or remove invoice template fields.