Due to the large volume of UTBMS codes and the preferences of many audit houses/processors to allow only certain codes, the chances of incorrect code usage are high. This can lead to rejection of nonconforming bills.
When law firm staff create time entries, they may be unaware of different situations for the firm’s various eBilling clients.
CosmoLex provides three options to help minimize such errors:
Method 1: Deactivate Specific Expense Codes
To deactivate specific expense codes:
- From the left navigation panel, click Setup.
- From the Setup left navigation, click List Items.
- From the tabs atop the List Items screen, click Expense.
- From the Expense screen, Click the UTBMS tab.
The UTBMS screen opens, displaying a toolbar beneath the tabs. Beneath the toolbar, a code listing displays.
- Double-click an expense, or single-click an expense, then from the toolbar, click Edit.
- In the lower left corner of the Edit Expense screen, click the Active box to uncheck it.
- Click Save.
The system deactivates the code.
- Repeat steps 5 – 7 for additional codes as needed.
Method 2: Enable Appropriate UTBMS Codes at Firm Level
When you enable eBilling at the firm level, enable only those UTBMS codes relevant to your practice areas.
Method 3: Enable Appropriate UTBMS Codes at Matter Level
When you enable eBilling at the matter level, enable only those UTBMS codes relevant to that matter.