Watch a Video
Set Up Document Storage
Third-Party Document Storage
Before you get started with document storage integration – read the Guidelines for Document Storage Integration
You can integrate your CosmoLex Account with any of the following Document Storage Solutions
Native Document Storage
Once this is turned on, go to Firm Preferences > Default Document App > Choose Cosmolex Native Storage and click Save.
How to Manage Documents with CosmoLex
You can also manage your documents directly from the matter.
Add a File
Add Multiple Files
To do this, Go into Matter Details or Activities > Documents tab > click on the + symbol next to the matter folder you want to open > click on a folder > Click Add > Add File.
In the Add File window, click browse to choose the files you want to upload.
In open file window, click on a folder on the left-hand side and hold down Ctrl (PC users) or Command(for Mac users) on your keyboard and with your mouse, click on several files you want to upload into CosmoLex.
When you have the files selected, click open.
In the Add File window, you will see the files you uploaded. When ready, click upload.
The files will then appear in the folder as shown below:
Set Searchable Properties for Document
You can attach properties to a document in order to make it easier to locate using the search function. You can use this function to locate documents either from within the individual Matter or search all documents from all cases from the document tab in Activities.
Some search terms can be added to a document by using the Properties function. In order to apply one of these search terms to an individual document, click on the document to highlight it in blue and then hit the Properties tab right above it.
At this time, the Properties screen will open and give you the chance to assign searchable values to the document.
The different types of searchable values that can be used are:
- ID – This is a number automatically assigned by order of addition to the software,
- Creation Date – Date when a document was created but a different date can be added if necessary.
- From – Whom sent the document to you or your office.
- To – Whom the document was sent to from you or your office.
- Description – A general characterization of the document.
- Type – Apply a classification to the document, like Medical Report or Interrogatory.
- Document Number – A number assigned by you to keep track of your files.
- Label – As with other items in your CosmoLex software, you can assign a label to your document and use it as a search term. To learn more about labels, Click here.
You can also search for the document by its Name.
After you have applied values to the Document Properties field, hit Save to finish. You will now be able to search for the document using these values.
Deleting a File
- Highlight the requested file.
- Click “Delete”.
- Click “Yes” if you are sure you want to delete.
Viewing a File
To view pdf file, click View.
If the file is not pdf, to view it, Highlight the file, and click “Download”
Click on the generated file (lower left) to open. Depending on your operating system, the program may generate the file differently based the application associated to the file type.
Renaming a File
Highlight the requested file.
Change to the correct name.
Add Comments to Documents
- Highlight the requested file.
- Click “Comments”
- Add a comment in the box shown.
- Choose “Send Email to Notify” a user. Click Add user to tag them to the comment.
- Click Add.
A symbol will show next to the file indicating a comment has been added.
You also have the ability to share files via client portal by locating the share symbol shown below:
When the client logins into the client portal, they will see the document you shared under the documents section.
Managing Document Versions
When uploading an updated version of the same document (under the same name), Cosmolex will automatically create a version history.