Locate Mapping Rules
Mapping Rules can be found in three locations.
Each bank account has its own set of mapping rules. There may be a mapping rule to automatically rename a payee under one bank account, but maybe not another. You may want to review or manage individual bank account’s rules to ensure they are correct.
To view a bank account’s mapping rules:
1. Click on the Accounting Tab
2. From the Bank Tab, click to select the desired bank
3. Click Action > Click Mapping Rules
Bank Statement Import or Bank Feed
You can also see mapping rules while importing bank or credit card transactions or receiving them through the Bank Feed.
To view mapping rules from this screen, follow the instructions to import transactions, and click on Payee Mapping Rules on the import screen.
Understanding Mapping Rules Screen
After clicking on Mapping Rules, you’ll be taken to a list of existing Mapping Rules.
Here you can Add, Edit existing rules, or Delete. If you add a rule, after saving, the rule will take effect automatically. Rules can be adjusted before the next import (in the Bank Section) or during an import (in the Import Transactions Screen).
See below for a list of fields in the Mapping Rules ‘Edit Mapping’ Screen.
Rule Type – gives 2 types: “Mapping” means the rule has already been used to map previous transactions and will be used again when more transactions of this type are imported. “Exclusion” is used to block a certain statement payee name from automatically becoming a mapping rule.
Payee Name – name of the payee that will be used once the transaction is imported. This can be changed by the user before adding the transaction from import.
Matching Rule – gives 3 options: “Equals To” means the statement payee name and payee name are an exact match. “Contains” means both the statement payee name and payee name contains similar information. “Starts With” means the statement payee name begins with the same information as the payee name.
To Add a Mapping Rule
- From the Mapping View screen, click Add.
- This opens the Add Mapping screen.
- First you will choose the Rule Type, Mapping or Exclusion.
- If you choose Mapping, you will then choose the Mapping Rule, which is the same as the Matching Rule described above.
- Add the Statement Payee Name.
- Add the Payee Name.
- Select the default General Ledger account.
- Click Save.
- If you chose Exclusion in the Rule Type, you will just have to add Statement Payee, then click Save.
To Edit a Mapping Rule
- From the Mapping View screen, select the Mapping Rule you wish to edit by single-clicking on it to highlight in blue.
- Then click the Edit button.
- Follow steps 3-9 from the Add a Mapping Rule instructions.