If your firm has of-counsel or timekeepers who do not have access to CosmoLex and you wish to import their time entries, you can consider using our WIPs-Time Import functions.
Ensure that the corresponding Client-Matter records already exist in CosmoLex prior to importing data.
Excel template to fill-in the Time entries is located here.
Filling-in the Excel file
- Go to the Time tab to fill-in your data.
- Column name headers and Sheet name should Not be changed for the import to work successfully.
- Carefully fill-in the Matter Identifier values for each row. You can choose to use the Matter ID# assigned by CosmoLex or the Matter File # which is user assigned. Whichever ID type you choose must apply to all imported items, as that is how the import will match with data already in CosmoLex.
- All fields except Card Date, Tax and Description ones are Required to be filled-in. If Card Date value is left blank, current date will be used for the import.
- Billing Type value should be one of these: Billable, Unbillable and NoCharge
- You have the choice to enter time values either as Hour-and-Minute (e.g. 1 in Hours & 30 in Minutes) -OR- as Total Billing Hours in decimals (e.g. 1.50).
- For any additional information such as max allowed characters, refer to the “1. Data Entry Instructions” sheet in the file.
In the top menu, click the ‘+’ icon and go to Other > Import Data. This should open the first screen for Import.
Select the Time/Expense option and click “Continue”.
Click “Choose File” to locate the file and then click “Upload”. Keep the “File has headers” checkbox as ticked.
Frequently Occurring Errors and Resolution
Referenced client matter does not exist
This indicates that the Matter Identifier entered is invalid and not matching with an existing client-matter in CosmoLex.
Timekeeper name does not match
If the spreadsheet has a timekeeper value that’s not in CosmoLex; go to Setup > Timekeeper to create a new timekeeper.
Invalid values for Time
Identify and update spreadsheet records that have non-numeric or invalid values for Time.