Data Migration is not a trivial process and requires careful coordination. Every firm is different in regards to the systems they come from and also the data that needs to be migrated.
There are two options available to you when migrating your data: Do-It-Yourself (migrate your own data) or Turn-Key Data Migration.
This article explains how you can use the Do-It-Yourself Option to migrate on your own data.
If you would like to have a more in-depth discussion to better understand your specific needs and setup, or would like to discuss the option to utilize services from us and our certified partners, please feel free to reach out to us. Need more information first? Learn more about our Data Migration Service.
Watch a Video
This 60-Minute training video explains how to complete your own Data Migration. It contains 5 chapters covering the items below. If needed, you can skip to a different chapter by clicking on the menu icon at the bottom right of the video.
- The Data Migration Timeline
- The Big Picture of Migration: Understanding the different types of data, what gets migrated, and building a timeline for your firm.
- Tour of Non-Financial Data (NFD) Import Template
- We have well-designed import templates available (linked below) to help with the migration process. This chapter will walk you through the components of the non-financial data template with tips on how to best complete it.
- Importing Non-Financial Data
- This chapter demonstrates how to leverage our import tools to import your completed non-financial data template into CosmoLex
- Tour of Financial Data (FD) Import Template
- As with the NFD Template mentioned above, we have available templates for your Financial Data import (linked below). This chapter will walk you through the components of the financial data template with tips on how to best complete it.
- Importing Financial Data
- This chapter demonstrates how to leverage our import tools to import your completed financial data template into CosmoLex
In these guides, you will find full written instructions for completing your own Data Migration, as well as the required import template files.
Manual Data Entry
If you have a small data set (i.e. if you are a small or new firm) and do not wish to go through the formal import process, you may follow these instructions:
- For Non-Financial Data (NFD) – Please see our support portal to learn how to enter Matters, Contacts, and other information into your CosmoLex account
- For Financial Data – you may use the following articles to manually migrate your Accounts Receivable (AR) and Trust Balances.